It is like a cowboy version of Shepherd's Pie and it is delicious!
My chili recipe is a little of this and a little of that, but I will list the ingredients and you can tweak it to your taste.
- ground turkey, browned & drained
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- few stalks of celery, chopped
- large can of Dei Fratelli chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- can of red kidney beans, drained
- can of corn, drained
- chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, garlic powder
- beef broth, add enough to reach desired consistency
- sliced green onions - white and green rings
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 box of Jiffy corn bread mix (plus egg & milk per the box)
Brown the turkey and drain, if necessary. Add onion and celery and saute. Add tomatoes through beef broth and simmer. Mix up the Jiffy corn bread batter per the instructions on the box. Top the chili with sliced green onions and shredded cheddar cheese. Top with uncooked corn bread batter, spread gently to cover surface, place on a cookie sheet (to catch any drips) and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until corn bread is ready.
Serve with hot sauce & sour cream. Yee haw!