Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sheep Cookies

Every year I like to experiment with a few new cookie recipes in case I am missing something wonderful.  This year, these sheep take the cake! 

I have found that ever since my drive through the Cotswolds this Spring, I am drawn to anything "sheep."  I found this idea and recipe in an old issue of Country Home magazine in an article about farm yard-inspired cookies.  The magazine is no longer being published, but many recipes are still available online.  Print yourself a copy from the link above - who knows how long the content will be available.

Everyone loves the touch of powdered sugar (to emphasize the fluff) and many think the chocolate feet & face are the best part (for dough like mine, just add 2 Tablespoons of Hershey cocoa powder in lieu of the suggested food coloring).

What are your plans for holiday baking?

9 comments:

Susan said...

I'm thinking a simplified version of these adorable cookies! They are SO cute! I know my little lambykins would love them!
Thanks for sharing!
Blessings!

Anne Reeves said...

My pleasure, Susan! I am so glad they "spoke" to you too!

Gina said...

Thank you Anne, I have fond memories of opening a "window" every night when I was small and still living in East Germany. Thanks for the link. I have ordered a couple of advent calendars.

Anne Reeves said...

Gina - I am glad that I brought back some good memories. I am so glad that you've found some calendars you like!

Elaine said...

Who wouldn't be drawn to those sheep? How very cute!

Mthousemama said...

How cute! I will be making these for my son's Farm themed 2nd bday party in Feb. I don't have the time to frost cookies. Adding cocoa is such a smart idea.

I am thinking of making larger sheep cookies for the goody bags and smaller cookies for eating at the party.

Thanks for posting!

Anne Reeves said...

@Mthousemama - you are so welcome! They are delicious too! Have a wonderful time at your son's party! Put some powdered sugar in a sifter to add the white fluff - super easy!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post! hehhee now my boyfriend gets a happy herd of sheeps to celebrate our 2 years together! Will post up pics if it's successful! :)

Anne Reeves said...

Good for you, Cheryl. Can't wait to see your flock!