Monday, February 21, 2011

Living Wall in Palm Beach

This is my second chance to photograph a "living wall" in the last year!  Remember my thrill at seeing the living facade at the Athenaeum Hotel in London?

When I was visiting Saks Fifth Avenue on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, I picked up an issue of Florida Design's Palm Beach, The Island (Prince William & Kate Middleton are on the cover - how could I resist?).  Later that afternoon, when I was reading the magazine, I noticed an article about a gorgeous piece of living art...covering the exterior of the Worth Avenue Saks!  I had been right there, but missed it because I didn't approach the store on foot.  The next day I made a trip back to Worth Avenue to take this photograph.

There is a marble plaque on the sidewalk out front that reads: "The Garden Club of Palm Beach is proud to have been part of the creation and funding of the living wall, which enhances the beauty and environment of our town." 
An article in the Palm Beach Post states that this vertical garden consisting of plant supports, watering and fertilizing systems and over 10,000 plants cost $250,000 to create - wow. 

It really is gorgeous and adds just the right touch of life, texture and art to an incredible shopping district.  If you are ever in the area, you must come see this perfect example of a living wall.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I love the design created in this one.