Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Joy of Painting

"Look at the color of the water!  Anne, take a picture of this."  The remnants of our art lesson looked as pretty as the actual paintings! 

My mom's sister is an artist and when she came to the cottage for a few days, the three of us spent an afternoon painting.  Our plan was to paint Lake Michigan (and get a quick lesson in watercolor clouds), but the weather changed and the intermittent rain showers kept us from setting up outdoors.  We worked from memory and had the most relaxing time encouraging the blue paint to soak in and swirl with the water on the paper.

I had no illusions that my painting would ever amount to anything.  But spending time with my mom and my aunt on a rainy afternoon felt wonderful.  I knew right away that what we were making was memories.