Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Apple Slaw

Whenever I am creating a new recipe, I think of what I do and don't want it to be.  For example, I was invited to my friend Tricia's for a "Simply Asia" product tasting party.  It was to be a lunch at the lake and then boating afterwards.  The guests were to bring a dish that would compliment Thai food.


Thai Food...hmm.  I knew that I didn't want the dish to have peanuts in it, because that would compete with the peanut-flavored sauces.  I also didn't want to make a spicy dish, because I imagined my dish being a welcome relief from all of the spice spice spice.  What did I want it to be?  Cold and refreshing.


I made up a fresh apple slaw and it was a hit!  So much so that they ate every last bit and I brought home an empty bowl.   You can see it on the plate at the 12 o'clock position.  I am going to give you general measurements here - you will really want to mix it to your taste.


Anne's Asian Apple Slaw


Shred 1 Fuji apple with a handheld julienne shredder or my favorite, this Borner Julienne
Shred 2 green zucchini
Shred 1 yellow squash
Grate some fresh ginger onto the slaw


Mix 3 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard, a  squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a splash of bottled ginger juice.  Mix and toss with shredded apple and vegetables.


When we arrived, I sprinkled some candied ginger pieces on top.  Voila!  A cold, fresh and delicious Asian salad that was everything I wanted it to be and nothing that I didn't.  Sometimes a recipe pro/con list is just what you need!  

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Hi, Anne! What a great idea for a slaw. It looks simple to make, too.