Thursday, August 30, 2012

Honolulu: Waikiki: Royal Hawaiian

Today's moment of delight is about location, location, location.  I knew that I wanted to go to a restaurant on Waikiki Beach to have dinner and watch the sun go down.  A friend had told me about the Barefoot Bar at Duke's Waikiki and although I loved the setting, menu and mood of the place (think "The Love Boat" meets Jimmy Buffet), but Corinne and I couldn't stand the volume of the live music.  She told me that she was sure we would like it at a place she had in mind, just down the beach.  I reluctantly gave up our coveted spots at Duke's, bought a t-shirt for Dan and followed Corinne down the strip.

Rule #1, always listen to Corinne.  She took me directly to the Royal Hawaiian and the photo above is the view from our table, and it's a great place to get a picture of Diamond Head.
We had this gorgeous, yet still beach-y and casual meal, in this perfect (and I mean perfect) beach side restaurant at the Royal Hawaiian.  The music was light and relaxing, we had a table closer to the ocean than I thought was possible and I loved it.  Plus, the hotel has a lot of history (Bing Crosby, Elvis) and it was fun strolling the shops in the lobby and the shades of pink Ladies Lounge (bathroom) with mirrors and sofas had a design and scale that was right out the movies.   
And I got my sunset.  The waitress knew we were there to see it from our beach table, so she made it easy for us to stay as long as we wanted.  You must, must, must make time to have a meal at  beach side restaurant in Waikiki, and if it is at all possible, head for the Royal Hawaiian, you'll love it.

No comments: