Thursday, January 10, 2013

Wander an English Garden

When I was in England, I was in the right place at the right time.  For whatever reason, the route I chose to travel was quiet and free of tourists.  It was as if I entered a store and went left, when everyone else walked to the right. Do you know what I mean?  As a result, everyone I encountered was surprised and happy to see an American and had all the time in the world to chat, answer my questions and suggest things that I might like to see.  

That is how Dan and I came to have this private estate garden all to ourselves.  We were staying at Frampton Court Estate in Gloucestershire and the woman that minds the estate arranged with the owner for us to have a self-guided tour of the garden at the Manor.  We walked through a door in the garden wall and wandered the paths, walked across green spaces and sat happily on the bench you see here.  

Isn't it remarkable how many layers and textures there can be in one place?  So many shades of green, all of it alive and all of it perfectly suited to the surroundings.  I loved it here.  Can you imagine having a real English garden to tend?  The pink flower is a Bombast Rose peony. I felt as if the pages of The Secret Garden had come to life.      

No comments: