Monday, January 21, 2013

Unusual Vases

Throughout the cold (It's 3 degrees here tonight!) and snowy Winter months, I like to sprinkle in flower arranging ideas to help keep my head in the game and preparing for Spring.  Now is the time to be on the lookout for unusual containers for flower arrangements.  Today I'm putting the spotlight on tin boxes (often filled with cookies!)

I made this pretty arrangement of peonies and roses in an aqua tin with a hinged lid.  A few years ago, Martha Stewart sold toffee and peppermint bark in these beautiful tins at Macy's.  I bought a few, devoured the candy and now I can use the beautiful aqua tins in different ways - to hold office supplies, as a casual jewelry box or as a vase!

I put an open gallon-size Ziploc bag in the tin, nestle a block of water-filled Oasis (that I cut to size) inside the bag and then tucked the extra edges of plastic bag down into the tin.  The Ziploc bag keeps the water and Oasis contained; the tin won't leak or rust and I can safely display the flower arrangement anywhere I want without fear of a watermark.

Lately I have seen a variety of cookies packaged in tin boxes at TJ Maxx and Homegoods.  These French butter cookies have been on the shelves recently and as you can see they come in yellow, orange or pink tins. 

2013 could be your year for exceptional flower arranging...you just need the proper supplies!

No comments: