Wednesday, April 3, 2013

City Series: Washington, DC: Amelia Earhart

Did you ever think you'd see Amelia Earhart's pilot's license?  I didn't either!  But I found myself looking at it in a display case in an exhibition called "One Life: Amelia Earhart" at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.

Do you remember when I visited a Chautauqua on the southern shore of Lake Erie a few years ago and had lunch at the historic Lakeside Hotel?  I remember learning that Amelia Earhart had been one of their famous guests.  

While I wandered through the exhibit, I kept thinking about my afternoon at the Lakeside Hotel (it was a beautiful day with bright blue sky) while I looked at the images and keepsakes of Amelia's life.  I wondered at what point in this exhibit could you place a marker that said "visited Lakeside, Ohio."
I was expecting to spend an afternoon with portraits of presidents, but found myself captivated by the Amelia Earhart exhibit.  I love when I have the time to enjoy a museum, and wander.  Would this exhibit bring you delight?

No comments: