Friday, January 24, 2014

City Series: Dallas: Dallas Arboretum

In January, garden lovers must take what they can get. With my hometown buried under a foot of snow, a quiet and empty landscape isn't all that bad...and I love flowering kale.

When Carol and I were at the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, I asked her opinion whether I should try visiting the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden, even though it was January.  She loved the idea and thought we should add it to our plans that day - how fun!
The fact that the gardens are situated on a lake makes the view so interesting and added color and texture to an otherwise muted palette.
We photographed the sculptures and wandered the paths around a large section of the property.  The sun came out for a while and the fresh air felt wonderful.  The arboretum is huge and I can only imagine how beautiful it looks when the grass is green and azaleas are in bloom.  I must come back!
On our way back to the entrance, we stopped to shop at the gift shop.  It had everything from wind chimes and garden art to Texas candies and stationary. There was a lot to look at and we both found a few things that we had to have.
Though I would wait a little while for Mother Nature to work her magic, I highly recommend adding an afternoon visit to the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden to any Dallas itinerary.  

No comments: