Monday, April 28, 2014

Salt Spring Island Cheese

I had read about the luscious goat and sheep cheeses made at Salt Spring Island Cheese, which is located north of Victoria in British Columbia and I had it on my "must visit" list for our Easter weekend trip.  Until I locked onto the word island in their name and was told that I had to take a ferry to get there. Nope. I couldn't do it after feeling so seasick on a ferry the day before.  

I was so disappointed.  We did have a lovely weekend, but I couldn't help feeling that I missed out on some great artisanal cheese.  On Monday we were back in the Seattle area and I wanted to see if I could buy some slices of ham, scalloped potatoes, a lemon dessert - whatever I could find to make a delayed Easter dinner in the kitchenette of our little hotel room.  I decided to try Whole Foods, where I thought I would have the best chance finding dinner items in their prepared food case.  Success!
Not only did I find the components for an Easter dinner, I found the display above of Salt Spring Island Cheese in their cheese case!  

The selection all looked so beautiful - look at the one with the raspberry pansy blossom on it.  Just gorgeous.  And another had marinated black, green and red peppercorns on it. I chose the Garlic Goat Cheese (with olive oil and a sprig of rosemary) and we ate it with Triscuits as an appetizer. Yum, yum, yum.  

No comments: