Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Seattle: Coho Cafe Redmond: Fish Frenzy and Salmon Stats

My new friends were sure that I would like anything I ordered at the Coho Cafe in Redmond. They were right! I couldn't resist the special: fresh halibut with a blood orange glaze over sticky rice and pea pods. I ate every bite.

I missed taking a picture of our shared appetizer, but the Roasted Green Chile and Cornbread Waffle with agave butter was fantastic. Sweet and creamy and crunchy and hot. Yum. Who needs dinner?  

But we did, of course and everyone seemed very happy with their selection.  I had a bite of Paula's "limited edition" salmon, known as the Copper River Salmon, and it was deep red and so rich I described my bite as salmon pudding

In a region where fish is king, there is extensive seafood knowledge that I know nothing about.  The girls told me that when the first plane arrives from Alaska this time of year full of the beloved Copper River Salmon, the pilots walk off the plane holding up a fish (could I make this up?). I read an article in the Seattle Times that says the pilots then present the salmon to three chefs that cook it right then at the airport to kick off the season. You must see the article here.  I love this place.

On a whim, I ordered an Elderflower spritzer. It was light, non-alcoholic and tasted like a honey-flavored herb fizz.  What a great drink to enjoy with fish! Elderflower is all the rage right now and this is a fun way to try it.    

My husband worked late and missed dinner that night, but I promised him that he would have his day at the Coho Cafe before we flew home.

No comments: