Friday, October 3, 2014

Seattle: A La Mode Pies Need No Ice Cream

Oh me, oh my, look at all this gorgeous pie. I ordered two slices and asked the nice man behind the counter to cut them in half, so that I could try a little of each on site with a latte and take the other two halves home to Dan.  

These a two halves are: Bourbon Butterscotch pie and Chocolate Caramel Pecan Tart from A la Mode Pies in the Phinney Ridge neighborhood of Seattle. First let me say that the Chocolate Caramel Pecan tart was delicious - exceptional pecans, perfect crust, sticky sweet base - high marks all around. 

The only problem was that I tried the Bourbon Butterscotch pie first and I wanted nothing else from then on. Maybe ever. It was cold and sweet with bourbon undertones and creamy overtones. It is the kind of pie I want to rub on my face. I didn't, of course. It's just my mind trying to think of something dramatic to do to make the magic last. This is how A la Mode describes my new favorite pie:


"This New Orleans-inspired delight starts with a delicate crust of vanilla wafers, brown sugar and toasted pecans. We then pour in sweet, smooth homemade pudding infused with caramelized sugar, vanilla, butter and a splash of bourbon whiskey - all topped with freshly whipped cream and toasted pecan pieces" - www.alamodeseattle.com 

You'd dive right in too, right? This sweet little pie shop was a great place to take a break on a rainy afternoon. Want to hear a coincidence? The nice man behind the counter was from Michigan and grew up spending his summers in Glen Arbor, the little town next to my little town up north! We both go back every year and joked that we might run into each other next August "in town." Small world indeed. 

If you get a chance, stop into A la Mode Pies and indulge in something wonderful. These pies are fantastic. A la mode or not.

No comments: