Saturday, May 2, 2015

Seattle: Issaquah First Farmers Market of the Season

I used to say that the next season was my favorite season. I'm always looking forward and planning and thinking about what I will make and do next. 

Yet this year, with a bouquet in my arms, Spring is proving that it wins. When I can suddenly buy flowers at the farmers market every week, I am in my element and clearly this is my favorite time of year.

Saturday, May 2 was opening day at the Issaquah Farmers Market. I roamed the market, which is predominately flowers, herbs and asparagus this time of year and settled at the tent of Sweet Blissful Blooms. A darling girl named Maria let me choose the flowers in my bouquet: blue and white lupine, rosy-apricot peony tulips and white phlox. It is commanding, yet feminine. 
I have a blue and white print tablecloth on the kitchen table and the lupine repeating the color looks gorgeous in this small space.  The vase? As I settle into our pied-a-terre, I realize I am missing some key items. One of my new $5 IKEA sugar canisters became a temporary vase. It's perfect, really, because a bouquet of this size needs a vase with some heft to keep it upright. Necessity is the mother of invention. The vase is sitting on one of my museum collection tin plates. It looks perfect and I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments: