Friday, April 27, 2018

Renee's Garden: The Miracle of Seeds

At the risk of sounding like a goof, I think you should try growing some plants from seed. Since I am a garden writer, Renee's Garden offered me some seeds (thank you!) to try growing this spring. I chose a variety of Nasturtiums, Violas, Sweet Peas and Morning Glory vines. 

I must tell you that I bought this mini-greenhouse by Jiffy (complete with peat pods that plump with water) at the grocery superstore Fred Meyer and the fact that some of the seeds have sprouted in just 3 days, has me giddy. I planted this tray by Jiffy on April 24, 2018. I will report on them occasionally, but know that I am checking them constantly like a happy elementary school kid.

Like my identification flags? I cut triangles of stiff paper, wrote on the names/color with permanent marker and taped them to vanity hors d'oeuvres picks by Talisman Designs (similar picks available here). 
What am I going to do with all of these magnificent plants? Well, the Morning Glories are going onto a tuteur in our front garden. The violas (Johnny-jump-ups) are destined to be frozen in ice cubes and sugared and placed on cupcakes. The Sweet Peas will grow up the staircase on our deck, I think. The nasturtiums will be planted along the edge of a cutting garden in our back yard, location TBD. There is also a trailing variety of Nasturtium that I want to drape out of a hanging basket. I.cant.wait.

Have you sown seeds indoors lately? Join me!
May 3, 2018 (day 10) - they look so happy and healthy. Go seeds!

#reneesgarden #sowingseeds #seeds #flowers #startingseeds 

No comments: