Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Adorable Holiday Candy

I was going for "cute" and got delicious too!  I was at the cake and candy supply store, happily spinning the rack of chocolate candy molds, when I saw this!  A plastic mold that makes 10 "house" chocolates per batch - adorable!

I wanted to try making some simple chocolates to serve with coffee and cookies over the holidays.  I knew that Wilton made favored/colored chocolate wafers (or discs) that could be put in clear piping bags and melted in the microwave.  I wanted to make the house look "Colonial" so when I saw peanut butter discs at a Michaels Craft Store, my mind said "khaki!" - the perfect color of "siding" for my house.


I used some dark chocolate discs that I had from another project and Voila! I have a super cute candy that tastes like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup.

The candy you see here is from my first batch - there is not much of a learning curve, I'm happy to say.  The only change I need to make is to pipe less peanut butter into the house cavity so that it doesn't seep outside the lines of the house.

Tips:
  • Use disposable plastic bags - you can microwave in them and toss them when you're finished
  • After the peanut butter is piped in, lightly "drop" or tap the mold to let any bubbles escape the chocolate.  Do the same after you pipe in the dark chocolate.
  • Allow chocolate to set before trying to unmold.  I put mine in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.  Gently twist the mold to release (similar to what you would do with an ice cube tray) and then tap and push on the back of the mold (face mold down onto wax paper-covered counter top) to encourage the chocolates to release.

1 comment:

Ruth Ann said...

If you pour your peanut butter houses (being careful not to overfill)and let them set about 15 minutes before adding the chocolate, the peanut butter candy will be less likely to overflow into the chocolate.

Your candies are adorable!

Ruth Ann