Monday, July 23, 2018

Seattle: Matt's in the Market has a Must Try Fishwich

I can count on one hand how many times I've ordered a fish sandwich, yet when I was at Matt's in the Market in Seattle last week, I knew it was the right thing to do. And the fish that day was halibut, and I love halibut.

Well, this may have been the best sandwich I've ever eaten. Truly. The Fishwich is described as iceberg lettuce, mam lil's pepper aioli, bacon and saved sweet onion on brioche. The battered fish was hot and tender; the chew of thick cut bacon gives resistance and heft to each bite; the sauce completely necessary though I have no idea what was in it and the slightly charred fresh brioche bun made me question why I hadn't eaten here sooner.

My 2 college friends were in town and while showing off Pike Place Market, the crowd started to get thick and I suggested trying a restaurant that I had heard about for lunch. It had been a busy morning and we needed a chance to sit down and absorb the experience. Bravo me. I'm so glad that Matt's name came to mind and that I was able to find it. We were on foot on Pike Street and I used Google Maps to walk to the corner of Pike and First. You have to walk up 2 flights of stairs to find it, though we found the easy access elevator once we were upstairs.

The sandwich was served with a side of watermelon strawberry gazpacho drizzled with olive oil. We loved that too and wondered all day if the hint of herb we detected had been tarragon or savory. The next afternoon, we decided to make our own batch of watermelon gazpacho. Thanks for the inspiration, Matt!   

#seattle #pikeplacemarket #mattsinthemarket #fishwish #memorablemeal #friendsintown    

No comments: