Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Living Necklace: Accessorizing with Air Plants

Have you ever seen a living necklace? I was a fan from the moment I saw it. Of course, it will require a gentle life and a little TLC, but it is a really great conversation piece. This beautiful air plant (Tillandsia) is glued into this simple vessel which hangs on a chic leather cord. Once a week you should soak the plant in lukewarm water (read more about caring for Tillandsia here).

This necklace by LiveTrends was a gift to invite garden writers to attend the Tropical Plant International Expo (TPIE), a trade show for foliage and tropical plants, which is a  held in Ft. Lauderdale, FL on January 16-18, 2019. Wouldn't I love that!

Garden writers and communicators from around the country (GardenComm) were at their national conference this summer when we received the living jewelry. The enthusiasm for this necklace (and buzz about the TPIE show) spread quickly and I saw happy attendees wearing their new accessory with pride throughout the day. 

Once I  returned home, I found the perfect spot with bright light for my air plant. She now hangs on my cookbook holder in my kitchen. Visually, this dangling air plant seamlessly blends my kitchen into Joanna Gaines' kitchen - doesn't it look like it is part of the cookbook cover? 
The idea that a necklace can be living aligns perfectly with my goal to highlight things that are beautiful and interesting. This is delight.

#TPIE #livingdesign #airplants #airplant #unusualjewelry #living #tropicalplants #fortlauderdale #beautifulandinteresting #livingnecklace #gardencomm #gwa #2019 #gardencommunicators

No comments: