Friday, February 6, 2015

Love and Potatoes: When Stripes are the Star

Want to show your family that you love them during the 12 Days of Valentines Day? Stripe a pan of mashed potatoes and see what happens. I brought this dish to our big family Christmas Eve dinner and I swear my brother took his phone out and took a picture of it. Unprecedented. 

This is my semi-homemade version of a striped mashed potato dish I saw in a magazine years ago. I actually bought two containers of homemade mashed potatoes at Costco and redistributed them into the baking dish with a splash of milk to help make them a bit more pliable.

Then I baked the mashed potatoes at 350 degrees for 40 min or long enough to warm them up and then topped the mashed potatoes with cooked bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and sliced green onion. Put the dish back into the oven just long enough to let the cheese melt. 

The photo you see here is one that I took to a party in a leave-behind container. When you make this in a beautiful deep blue Emile Henry baking dish, it looks even better.

This dish is delicious, easy, beautiful and on my must-make list for crowds. Enjoy!

No comments: