Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dollhouse Quilt






















I think antique quilts are works of art. I love to have a quilt hanging on the wall as a decorating element in the house.

So naturally, my dollhouse needed one too! I have a sweet pink & white "guest room" where the grandmother doll lives and I made her this quilt to hang on the wall. It makes the pink and white bedding (with ruffle pillows!) look complete.


Do you know a little girl who would like a quilt for her dollhouse? Take a piece of white adhesive-backed stiffened felt (available at craft stores), cut it to the size of quilt you would like. Cut out a few 2 x 2 inch pieces of print fabric to have color and pattern in the background. Then cut out small squares and triangles of coordinating fabrics. On the table next to you, arrange the pieces in layers until you like the design. Starting at the lowest layer (larger background pieces), stick the pieces onto the sticky side of the stiffened adhesive-backed felt. Build up the design from there using fabric glue (I like Sobo). Glue white (or color appropriate) seam binding tape to make a finished edge. Use clothes pins to hold the seam binding tape in place as the glue dries.

Voila! You've made a mini-masterpiece!

2 comments:

LillyB said...

I have a friend at church that is in a quilting club and they make amazing quilts! My favorite is the wedding ring quilt!

Anne Reeves said...

I think it is wonderful that women still come together to create masterpieces!