Thursday, April 29, 2010

Moonlight Gardening

When we lived in our first house, my little rose garden was next to the front walk and I had a huge clematis vine that grew and bloomed on the porch post.

The blooms were as large as dessert plates and it made quite a show at the front of the house.

I loved that little front garden and since I had a 9-5 job, the only time I really had to tend it was in the evenings.

When we would garden on warm Summer nights, we often ran into the across-the-street neighbors and their small children. Too excited to sleep, I think a walk around the neighborhood was their attempt to wear the kids out.

I love children and always make a point to explain the flower names and have them touch the blooms etc. One night, when Daniel (about 5 years old) asked me what I was doing, I told him the activity was called "Moonlight Gardening." Sounds great, right? Well the name stuck and for years, Daniel would periodically ask me if tonight was a "Moonlight Gardening" night.

I work from home now and have much more time to tend to my plants, but every now and then, my husband and I head outside to do some "Moonlight Gardening" and I love it just the same.

2 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

Me too! Moonlight gardening that is; on a hot summer's evening when all is quiet and most are asleep. Usually it is just watering for me and a few tidying up jobs.

Elaine said...

Besides weekends, that is the only time I have to garden. What a great memory!