Thursday, September 25, 2014

Seattle: University of Washington Medicinal Garden

When I heard that the University of Washington had its own Medicinal Garden managed by the biology department, I couldn't wait to visit. I love the idea of utilizing the properties of plants to aid the human body. Ginger for inflammation. Aloe to soothe the skin. I have quite an herb garden and I started imagining what I could teach the neighbor girls if I did a little more research.
I stopped by the campus on the beautiful spring day and enjoyed wandering the paths, trying to "name the plant" and then check my answer on the plaques that identify each species. 
The university offers tours of the Medicinal Garden and Greenhouse for groups of all ages from school age children to garden clubs. I think this is a wonderful way to welcome the community to campus.

No comments: