Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Spring Dinner with Sentimental Serving Pieces


My sorority sister Heidi came to stay with us after years of only talking on the phone. Remember when I went to Chicago for the Garden Writers of America (GardenComm) conference in 2018? That was the last time we'd seen each other in person. So I got the guest room ready, made a list of place I wanted to show her and dug out some college scrap books. 

I wanted to have a relaxing dinner at home one night and the spring table we set looked so pretty, I had to show you. The platter with the strawberries on the rim and the beehive cloche were part of tonight's tablescape on purpose. Thirty years ago (cough cough) a bunch of our sorority sisters all drove to Heidi's house near Holland, Michigan for a girl's weekend during the annual tulip festival. We had so much fun, and in a little gift shop the spirit moved me to buy these serving pieces and I hauled them around town all day. It was fun to pull them out and reminisce about a very carefree time in our lives. 

The wire centerpiece is a vintage garden gate that I bought last year at an antique store. The gate works and I intend to weave some of the sweet peas and nasturtiums I'm growing up this arch! It's all part of my master plan. For now, I put a glass jar full of the peachy daffodils we bought when we were showing her Pike Place Market.

My favorite memory from this meal was making dinner. I'm usually cooking by myself and it was wonderful to have Heidi in the kitchen with me. We made Delightful Chicken with a sauce of raspberry jam & balsamic vinegar and Shaved Carrots (shaved fresh carrot, covered and microwaved for 5 min. Tossed with smidge of butter and salt. Serve warm) 

#friendsvisiting #springdinner #gardengate #beehivecloche #shavedcarrots #delightfulchicken

No comments: