Wednesday, May 31, 2023

The Power of Cute: Why Collecting Cute Things Is Good For You

 
I shared my opinion about the Power of Cute and a recipe for molded lemon pear salad today with Axios Seattle and it got picked up nationally. Is that how you found me? Welcome to my webpage - best viewed on a computer, it connects you to my posts on finding delight in everyday life that I started in 2007, has my links to my books, a podcast interview. Lots of layers of information to look through.

When I first moved to Seattle, I went to a cookie exchange with 3 dozen gingerbread men and brought a darling gingerbread house tin to transport the cookies I got at the exchange home in. The people I met appreciated the gingerbread cookies I made, but it was cute tin that got all the attention. When asked if I had just bought it, I said that I had owned it for at least 10 years, and then added, "But cute is forever."

When I encourage people with this phrase I mean a few different things. Cute is Forever means that something that you immediately love and respond to will make you happy every time you see it no matter how long you have it, so it is absolutely worth it to own it. Another 5 years have passed since I took my tin to that party and it still gets great happy reactions from people.

Cute is Forever is also about pleasing yourself. I know that storage space is limited and we have to prioritize what stays and what goes, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a stash of cute things for a season of your life and then when the time is right sell or donate them to make room for the next batch of wonderful. We need bright spots in our lives. Finding Delight in your life is equivalent to a steady stream of music, flowers, sugar, color. The beauty of every day life is endless. And part of that formula is the power of cute.

Another example of the Power of Cute works can be seen in this edible lemon pear bunny. It’s cute. It’s delicious. You’re curious. That’s powerful. I puree canned pears, half & half, water and lemon Jell-O and freeze it into a bunny mold and once frozen, I set one the edge of each individual salad plate holding a gorgeous lettuce salad. Guests can’t believe how cute it is. How delicious it is. They won’t forget it. I’ll have the mold forever and I can bring delight whenever I want to. That is powerful to. The mold could be of flowers or anything really. I found this one at a local craft store. Life takes planning and effort. We may as well make it cute.

Frozen Lemon Pear Bunny

  • 15 oz can of pears, in lightly sweetened juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 oz box of lemon Jell-O powder
  • 1 cup of Half & Half (can be Fat Free)
  • 1/4 cup water

Pour the juice from the can of pears into a saucepan. Add 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Take off the heat and add the lemon Jell-o power and stir until dissolved. In a powerful blender, pulverize the pears. Stir in the cold half & half. When the hot lemon Jell-O mixture has cooled a few minutes, stir the cold mixture into the lemon Jell-O mixture. Place your silicone molds on a tray to catch any spills and to aid in transport. Pour the mixture into the molds until almost full. Place the tray in a level spot in your freezer. Freeze at least 3 hours.

Unmold about 20 min before you are ready to serve.

No comments: