Thursday, February 28, 2008

Basic Black

I was reading Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life) by Cathie Black when a friend suggested I attend some upcoming Inforum networking events with her. I went online and was amazed to see that Cathie Black herself would be a guest speaker talking about how to achieve a "360 degree life" at an upcoming Inforum luncheon. Well, today was the day and Cathie Black did not disappoint. Her book delivers everything from interview strategies to advice on dealing with difficult personalities at work, through stories & lessons learned over her 40 years in publishing. My favorite bit of advice from Cathie Black? Be prepared. I was and when I had the chance to meet her, I told her that I was a Country Living (a Hearst magazine) honoree from their Women's Entrepreneur event. She was pleased and asked if I was attending their event again this year (Yes!). What did I wear to this really interesting luncheon? Basic black, of course.

No comments: