Thursday, November 20, 2014

Apple Peeler Corer Slicer: One of my Favorite Kitchen Tools

We had my parents over for dinner and I knew that they would enjoy helping with the pie prep, so I measured out all of the ingredients for my famous apple pie (called Trick or Pie) and had everything ready. We only needed to peel, core and slice the apples, mix them into the pie ingredients and pour it into the ready made crust.
As we started peeling/slicing/coring the apple, my mom and dad insisted that I blog specifically about this handy dandy tool. I have mentioned it before - it is one of my favorite things - but I agree, it is worthy of the spotlight.

This is the apple peeler corer slicer.  It suctions onto the counter with a lever and makes quick work of apple prep. That is my dad's hand (above), showing you before and after. :)
Anne's Apple Pie (aka Trick or Pie on Halloween) 

1 frozen 9" deep dish pie crust
3 T. melted butter
3 T. flour
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. apricot jam
1/2 T. dried orange peel
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg (it is the most fun if you use a nutmeg grater & whole nutmeg)
1/2 c. yellow raisins
2 lbs. granny smith apples, peeled, cored & sliced 

Place pie crust into a glass/ceramic pie plate and then place the pie plate onto a cookie sheet (to catch any drippings and make removal from the hot oven easier). Combine pie ingredients (butter through apples) and mix well. Pour into pie shell. 
Delicious Crunchy Topping

1 c. flour
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1/2 c. white sugar

To make the delicious topping, combine flour, butter and sugar in a food processor (or with a pastry blender) and mix until it resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle evenly over the apples and bake at 375* for about an hour or until golden brown.

No comments: