Moving to the other side of the country, even part time, is a big deal. My friends at home want to know "when I'll be back" and as I forge new friendships in Seattle, I hear "You're leaving so soon?"
I wanted to make an art piece that would let me take my friends from around the country out West with me.
I had seen options online offered by photo companies. They will build a similar collage from submitted photos, but I thought I would give it a try myself. I supplemented my heart with images of things I love (my roses, antique dishes, sentimental vistas) and I am so happy with how it turned out.
My process, in a nutshell, was to:
- print images in "contact sheet" size
- arrange images in a heart
- glue each photo to a piece of mat board, cut to the size of my frame
- slip it into the frame
- pack it carefully for the move across the country
- hang it in our new apartment where I can see it often
I hope that each and every person in my collage makes the trip out to see me in Seattle. Boy do I have some things to show you!