Friday, November 30, 2012

Advent By Candlelight Table

We had such a lovely night.  My mom and I hosted a mother/daughter table at our church's Advent By Candlelight last night and it was a big success.  I know because our table was the last one still seated and talking long after others had started to pack up and go home.  And I swear the coffee was decaffeinated!
Our theme was "A Vintage Christmas" and we used some darling bon bon bedecked paper goods (that said Merry Christmas on them!) to highlight our pink and green table.   Our vision all came together when we gave our table scape some height by filling two glass hurricanes with my collection of vintage ornaments.  Pink and green and gold, oh my.  And when the overhead lights were turned off and all of the tables were lit by candlelight, it looked even more old-fashioned.

When we were planning our table, my mom wanted me to bake my chocolate cake "cottage" with butter cream snowdrifts as our dessert.  Of all the cakes that I make, this is her favorite and she knew that it would be the perfect centerpiece.  She was right.  Everyone wanted to know where I found the cake pan and loved the little touches, like the fact that I made the sidewalk coming from the front door look "shoveled."  Ha!  
The pan is the "Gingerbread House" from Nordic Ware and I just love it.  It bakes perfectly every time (I like Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix in "Chocolate Fudge" and homemade butter cream frosting) and unmolds like a dream as long as you use "spray with flour" (like Baker's Joy) and wait exactly 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven before you try to unmold it.

Come on, you know you want one.  I also use this pan as a Housewarming Cake - people love it!