Monday, January 2, 2017

A Rare Treat: Dinner Party on New Year's Day

Is this New Year's at Seattle's hottest new restaurant? No, ladies and gentleman, this is a small dinner party that was hosted by my friend Kathy. Isn't her table gorgeous!? When everyone picked up their fork, I reached for my camera. This moment of delight needed to be captured.

We have been welcomed with open arms by our friend, Kathy. Her roots are in Michigan and an when old friend of hers told her look after me when I was in Seattle, she took it seriously. She and her sister, Paula and good friend, Mary have been there for me ever since, even coming to the hospital to sit with me during my mom's surgery. To cap off the holiday season, they invited Dan, my mom and me for a quiet dinner on New Year's Day.

Look at dynamite tablescape Kathy arranged for dinner. Mirrored trees, red votives and scattered gems gave the table a modern holiday feel. Dinner was the perfect prime rib served with mushroom orzo and carrot souffle. I have never felt so spoiled. 
That is until she served dessert. We indulged in a perfect scoop of vanilla ice cream covered in white chocolate chards in a pool of raspberry sauce. Yum and yum. 

I would never expect someone to go all out entertaining like this, but you know what? I love it. I love the formality. I love the sparkle of the wine glasses and the real cloth napkins. I love housewares and I love entertaining and when someone goes out of their way to make a night special, I appreciate it!

We laughed about our adventures in moving, told stories of life in Michigan and planned for fun times in the future. In fact, Kathy has called dibs on helping me unpack the many boxes marked "crafts/fabric/ANA/jewelry/duct tape" and organize my new home studio into a proper maker space. I don't know if she understands what she's in for, but I know we will have fun no matter what.

Thank you, Kathy. This peaceful meal was a wonderful way to start 2017.

No comments: