Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Pie Auction to Benefit Compassion House in Issaquah

Dan and I were invited to join our friends at a charity pie auction and dinner to benefit Compassion House in Issaquah, WA. I quote my friend who wrote this description: "Compassion House provides transitional housing to homeless families in the Issaquah area. Their focus is on single mothers with two or more children. In addition to low-cost housing, they provide each resident family with the support required to re-build their life, overcome past troubles and create effective life habits." 
It was a great evening and it felt nice to support a good cause and meet people who lived in our new neck of the woods. I mixed and mingled and pretended I knew about the stores, cross roads or local celebrities people were referring too. There is a steep learning curve when you move across the country, no doubt about it. That's okay. When you admit to being new, I find people go out of their way to make suggestions and fill me in. 

Dan and I had fun considering all of the items at the silent auction table and ended up with the high bid on a "Glass Blowing Experience for 4." A local glass blowing studio in downtown Issaquah, Art by Fire, donated the class to support this charity. 
I was impressed with this pie - the spun sugar crown is a triumph. 

Seattle is known for being a high density area for creativity and glass art. The city and surrounding area boast glass blowing studios, art glass stores and the famous Dale Chihuly museum. I am linking you to this interesting article from Seattle magazine about the rise of glass art in Seattle. I have been hoping to find a way to try glass blowing and was tickled to have this chance.

No comments: