Saturday, December 9, 2017

Seattle: Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Ballet

It was a perfect December afternoon. Two new friends and I were in the second row of George Balanchine's Nutcracker and as we settled in our seats, I could hear the strum and squeaks of the orchestra warming up. I heard a quiet tap-tap-tap and the music began. 

After a childhood spent listening to records in my bedroom, I was looking forward to seeing the Nutcracker ballet come to life. At nine or ten, I didn't think too much about the story or the setting, I just loved listening to record in the beautiful white record jacket. Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. Over the years I have seen excepts of performances on television, but I don't remember ever seeing a live performance. 

The performance was simply wonderful.The costumes were vibrant and charming. The ballerinas were incredible and danced each scene with grace and stamina. Each moment was so vibrant and engaging, I hope the children in the audience are listening to the music at home as well. I want them to learn to appreciate what they were hearing as well. The orchestra was magnificent.

Photographs are not allowed during the performance, of course, so I must direct you to the official website to marvel at the costumes and dance scenes. When the holidays roll around next year, find a friend and treat yourselves to The Nutcracker and a few hours when time stands still.

No comments: