Monday, July 7, 2008

Cherry Country

Traverse City, Michigan is in the heart of cherry country. These Cherry Streusel muffins are so delicious you'll think you're at a country inn overlooking Grand Traverse Bay!

2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar (3/4 cup and 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract


1 (8 oz) 1/3 Less Fat "Neufchâtel" cream cheese
1 egg
48 tart or sweet cherries, pitted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray. In a food processor, pulse flour, butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar until crumbly. Remove 1 cup of this flour mixture and set aside. Pour the remaining flour mixture into a mixing bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, egg, and almond extract and mix well. Using a cookie dough scoop, drop a mound of dough into each muffin tin and spread a bit to create a muffin base. Place 4 cherries on top of dough. In the (now empty) food processor bowl, blend cream cheese, 1 egg and the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Spoon a dollop over cherries in each muffin tin. Spoon any remaining dough into each muffin tin and top generously with reserved crumble mixture. Bake for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

Anne, just reading this made my mouth water. At first I thought, I can do this but a I kept reading, I had a thought that the level of difficulty must be about 15. I know that sounds lame but I'm not much of a baker. Still, if things change and I'm feeling more confident, I might give it a try - at least I'll know where to look!

Anne Reeves said...

Oh, it really isn't hard at all. It is just a bunch of layers (dough, cherries, cream cheese, streusel crumbs) in one muffin cup. I only said to use a cookie dough scoop because the dough is sticky. They are especially good right out of the oven...I know you can do it!