Tuesday, August 12, 2008

You in 25 years

I had the most wonderful experience. I had gone into town to get a coffee and when I parked my car by "the oldest house in town" (1853?), I ended up talking with the ladies on the porch. You see, my maternal grandmother had lived next to "the oldest house in town" my entire childhood. Every day all summer long we would pop in and visit my grandmother, eat egg salad sandwiches, admire the garden and spent time together. I did not know these women on the porch, nor did they know my grandmother, but we had lots to talk about. Long story short, I offered them coffee too and we ended up talking on the porch for over an hour. When I asked if the black raspberry bushes were still out back, they offered, "Want some?" So I picked a few and when I got back to the porch I met a tween granddaughter. We started talking and I suddenly pointed out to her that "I am you in 25 years." I told her that when she comes back here as an adult, she'll walk on this street, point to this house and say "My grandmother used to live here - we would pick black raspberries from a huge bush out back." She looked at me and said "That's so cool." And I said, "I know."

3 comments:

Kimmers said...

I don't know why but this makes me cry. Do you think you could post a picture of the house? I can almost see what it looks like.

Anne Reeves said...

The whole afternoon was quite overwhelming. I am so glad my writing was able to bring it to life for you. I may post the house someday, but I think it may be better left to the imagination...

MmeBenaut said...

Black raspberries and tween granddaughters. That's almost a title for a book for you Anne. This was a beautiful story.