Thursday, September 3, 2009

45th Parallel

If I had to pick, the 45th Parallel is the latitude to be on. It runs right through my beloved Leelanau Country in northern Michigan.

I have been driving by this sign for years (an "official" marker that somehow validates my favorite area) and thought it would be fun to show you.

Foodies know that this latitude is optimal for growing the "stone fruits" (cherries, peaches etc.). Stone fruits are grown on the 45th parallel all across the globe. My part of the world specializes in cherries. Neat, huh? Normally this latitude principle is associated with grapes and vineyards, but now you know it applies to certain fruits too.

What I can't believe is that I am heading to Acadia National Park near Bar Harbor, Maine this month. While preparing for the trip, I noticed a "45th Parallel Picnic Area." No way!

I will still be photographing on the 45th - just 1,000 miles East!

No comments: