Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Edible Flowers

This is what happens when I am left alone in the kitchen - an edible flower collage! This particular day, I had been to a farm stand called "The Ugly Tomato" (a.k.a. heirloom tomatoes) and found a salad mix of fresh greens and a Ziploc baggie full of flowers for $3.75. Sold!

That night I made a farmer's market dinner: fresh corn on the cob, steamed broccoli, baby fingerling potatoes and a big salad loaded with the edible flowers and herbs above (okay, not the big orange one second down from the left). The flowers were so pretty (and there were so many varieties!), I decided to lay them all out to see what I had. This is the result.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to eat my dinner or frame it, seriously.


Some of the flowers shown here are:

  • Pansy
  • Nasturtium
  • Bachelor Button
  • Violas
  • Cosmos
  • Calendulas
You can see a fabulous chart of edible flowers here.

1 comment:

LillyB said...

One of the perks of being your fan is you show me so many new things. I have never eaten a flower. I have heard of them being in salads but never tried them...I may be persuaded if the occasion arises! lol