Monday, September 28, 2009

Little Cranberry Island

(This photo is of our arrival at the Islesford Dock.)

One of our adventures was to take the Mail Boat out to Little Cranberry Island. Since I am not particularly "sea worthy," I was really worried about being motion sick on the rough ocean waters.

Can you believe it? The water was like glass the whole way. It was such a beautiful ride and I loved every second of it.
The Mail Boat is just that - the Captain, a few passengers and the day's bin of mail. It was really neat to be a part of their daily routine. At one point I called over the wind to the Captain, "Where's Martha Stewart's house?" and he pointed out the long narrow roofline within the trees on the opposite shore.

We stayed on the island a few hours after the last mail boat run, so we hired a water taxi (the boat was named "Delight!") to take us back to northeast harbor. We ripped through the dark open waters on a gorgeous starry night - it is an evening I will never forget.

I've enlarged a portion of the main picture so that you can see the "Delight" tied up at the dock.


2 comments:

Nancy Carabio Belanger said...

The boat was named "Delight"? It was meant to be, Anne!!

Angie said...

Yes, she could not believe it when I told her. It was a delightful night to be out on the water, too. The most beautiful weather - truly!