Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ice Bucket Bouquet

This bouquet was assembled with peony donations!

I've been having a bit of a peony panic in my yard.  I went from having 6 happy and productive plants, to one plant that gives me 3 blooms - tops.  Is the soil in my bed too wet?  Did the plants get diseased?  I had the same problem last year and now that I'm in the same boat, I'm taking a leaf/soil sample to the garden center for some advice.  You can see my only peony in this photo: it is called "Gay Paree" and has magenta petals with a creamy center.

The rest of this gorgeous bouquet (I'm a florist at heart) was made with peony donations and a few "Royal Amethyst" roses.  My neighbor and best friend both offered up some of their blooms so that I could still make flower arrangements.  Thank goodness!  I couldn't miss having something this wonderful in the house.  And I discovered a distressed silver ice bucket in the basement - it must have been my mother's mother's from long ago.  I gave it a good shine and it is perfect.  

I'm making flower arrangements fit for a movie star.  Love it!