Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pop Up Village

Wouldn't you like to shop in this little village?  This is my favorite pop up book, James Herriot's Yorkshire Village.  The description on the book jacket says that the illustrations by Jane Reynolds and paper engineering by Paul Wilgress were inspired by the series, "All Creatures Great and Small," which was a tv series based on the books by James Herriot.  Do you know it?  I don't, not at all!

My mom has always loved paper buildings and she gave me this book a few years ago.  I've recently started displaying it on a table in my family room as art.  I love to look at this 3-dimensional scene from different angles and let my mind wander a bit.  There is a church yard, a cottage with a garden and two village scenes with shops etc.  It comes with townspeople too, that you can stand up with a paper support and have them move about the village.  I mean, who wouldn't want that?   
Can you see the shadow of the cat in the doorway?  And you should know that the windowsills open and close, exposing detailed rooms behind.  So cool!  It is like a collapsible paper dollhouse. 
This is the kind of item that has me reiterating my motto, "Never Underestimate the Power of Cute."

No comments: