Monday, March 7, 2016

Garden Art: Hudson Valley Seed Library and Beekman 1802

The first time I came across the Hudson Valley Seed Library was this year at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show. I was taken with their idea of blending art with gardening. They commission artists to create images as diverse as the heirloom seeds they sell and turn the seed packets into paper collectibles in their own right. As a matter of fact, I have their Breadseed Poppy Mix hanging on my memo board right now! 

My friends, Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Brent Ridge (aka Beekman Boys), have an ever expanding effect on the home, garden and how we see country life in general. This year they have partnered with the Hudson Valley Seed Library to create a limited edition series of non-GMO heirloom seeds from their own vegetable garden at their farm and sold through their store, Beekman 1802

The artwork on each Beekman seed packet features a goat, naturally, as their brand began with a simple goat milk soap. Remember when my photograph of the Beekman mansion was featured on their honey & oats soap? 

Heirloom vegetables are key component of the Beekman 1802 business. Josh and Brent have written an Heirloom Vegetable Cookbook and continue to trumpet the importance of growing and preserving our vegetable heritage.  

Now order some seeds and get out to the garden! It's March and I can't wait.

No comments: