Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Yulefest: Ballard Hosts the Festivities

I always enjoyed attending the small Swedish Christmas Fair near my home in Southeastern Michigan. It was festive and charming. A few performances, tables of baked goods, a selection of Christmas decorations for sale. The hallways and common rooms of the church were packed with people saying:
I loved it, so I knew I would seek out the same kind of festival when I moved to Seattle. Jackpot! This region has a large Nordic presence and I learned that they are opening a beautiful new Nordic Heritage Museum this Spring (May 5, 2018). 
It was a rainy Seattle Sunday when Dan and I drove to Ballard (an area within Seattle) to check out Yulefest. After 40 years, we arrived in the final hours of the current museum being open. I could hear attendees making sentimental statements about coming to this building as children and wanting to photograph just a few more special places inside. 
The Nordic Heritage Museum was packed. Like turn sideways to cross through the halls packed. It was wonderful to see that so many wanted to take one-last-pass through the halls and honor their heritage. I took this short video (above) to let you hear a traditional folk song and witness the bustling cafe where attendees ate open-faced sandwiches and authentic Christmas cookies.
Vendors were set up in the museum's display rooms and hallways for easy shopping.
In honor of Yulefest, I wore a Dale of Norway sweater, similar to this glorious display (above) and the shop woman smiled at my choice.
I stopped to admire these Norwegian Rosemaling wood carriers. I imagine they are for bringing food to a party, but that might just be me. I love their beauty and craftsmanship. I found a similar piece on Etsy if you are interested.
I felt foolish when I realized that I missed my chance to get in line for a hot ebelskiver. By the time I peeked through this doorway and saw what was going on, the line was even longer. This kind woman showed me how you gently turn these Nordic pancakes with a wooden skewer to keep it from browning too much on one side. Next year, I am getting my hot ebelskiver first!
Whether your ancestors are Nordic or you are just an admirer like me, be sure to attend Yulefest (November 2018) in the brand new Nordic Heritage Museum in Ballard, Washington.

God Jul! 

No comments: