Monday, February 8, 2010

12 Days of Valentine's Day: Day 6

Yes, sweet treats are a big part of the 12 Days of Valentine's Day around here. I've had an assortment of cake decorating stencils in my baking stash for a while now and decided this was the year to show them off.

I am so happy that a simple box cake (Betty Crocker "white" cake mix) and a tub of dark chocolate frosting can be elevated to this with just powdered sugar and a stencil!

I made this cake in the evening, and the next day, my father, brother and 3 of his kids ended up staying for dinner (I had made soup!). Suddenly 7 people were sitting around our dining room table, all eyeing this cake. That is what I love about baking - there is always someone willing to dig in.

And the hot pink glass cake plate? I bought 3 in varying sizes last year (at a bookstore, no less! You never know where you'll find something fabulous.) and love them more than I can say. Wait till this Summer when I float a peony on top!

Day 6: Bake cupcakes or a cake with box cake mix and a tub of frosting. Decorate with pink sprinkles, red hots or white chocolate chips. You'll be surprised how fast they'll disappear!

No comments: