Monday, November 1, 2010

Osage Oranges

It can't be Fall without a bowl of Osage Oranges in the house.  This year, my mom's friends found a country roadside loaded with them and brought her a paper bagful as a present!  I love the kiwi green shade and they look fantastic in my living room as a companion to this display in the dining room.  So fresh and green! 

If you don't have any osage oranges (aka horse apples or hedgeballs) in your neck of the woods, you can buy faux examples at Crate and Barrel!  A bowl of these unusual fruits (not edible!) are very popular accent in design magazines - keep your eye out for them. 

Do you decorate with osage orages?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to keep a few in the basement when I was a kid. I don't remember what they were supposed to deter. Marilyn Donnelly

Anne Reeves said...

Some say that they deter spiders! I love them for their color and wacky texture.

Elaine said...

I have never seen those before! I love the color and texture of them.

Mary said...

I've heard they are called "spider balls" because they keep spiders and roaches away. I just bought some at Flint's Farmer's Market, but not nearly as pretty as the ones pictured. I put them in the basement and in a few corners and hope they work.