Monday, June 25, 2012

Leelanau Peninsula: A Classic Summer Moment

I brought a friend up north to Leland with me for a few days and while we were there we made 3 batches of homemade strawberry jam.  Yum!  We had barely started our 5-hour drive back home when we came upon a farm stand on County Road 651 with a van idling in front.  Strawberries!

A flat of strawberries instantly became the perfect souvenir from our time up north.  I pulled over and we shouted greetings to the girl delivering boxes of strawberries right from the field.  As my friend grabbed her purse and climbed out of the car, the girl in the van drove away.  "Where is she going? I really wanted strawberries," my friend said with dismay.

I showed her the cash box and the price sheet.  The look on her face told me that she hadn't seen a farm stand with the honor system ever.  It was a great moment, really, because coming from the hustle-bustle of a city, it shows that people are good and can be trusted.  Chose your box of berries, consult the price sheet, pull out the right amount of money, drop it in the cash box. 

That feeling you get is called satisfied customer.

No comments: