Monday, June 4, 2012

Williamsburg Brickwork

I'm not sure if this will translate to your computer screen, but to me, this brickwork looks like needlepoint!   I took these photos on my trip to Williamsburg and when I looked up "colonial brick style" online to learn more, I found this article on the Colonial Williamsburg website.  I learned that this popular style is called Flemish Bond, which has bricks set in a pattern alternating long and short in the same row.
  
From a distance it is just gorgeous and reminds me of a needlepoint sampler I did when I was twelve.  In the sampler, I stitched 5 bars horizontally in one color and 5 bars vertically in another color and it resulted in a beautifully textured patchwork.  I loved that project!  This whole experience has brought back so many great feelings about stitch samplers, it makes me wonder why I'm not doing any needlepoint?   

No comments: