Sunday, August 6, 2017

Blackberry Jam: Sky Harvest Blackberries Have to be Seen to be Believed

You had to see it to believe it - giant blackberries from Nate Youngquist of Sky Harvest Produce (Skagit Valley) purchased at the Ballard Farmer's Market. Stop a minute and look at how big this berry is in my hand! Exceptional. I bought 4 pints and turned them into a small batch of beautiful jam with the help of my FreshTech Automatic Home Canning System
I love this machine and regret that, due to moving and packing, I have only been able to use it twice (ever!) before this. That is a travesty. I made some funny declaration yesterday that I would use it weekly from now on and after this successful batch, I just might!
The recipe makes 6 half pint jars (only 5 fit in the canner at once, so the remainder is in the refrigerator being devoured fresh). I cut fabric circles to cover the jars and secured them with a simple rubber band. I chose unique fabrics to highlight the deep purple jam. Red & white check fabric felt too cutesy for this beautiful blend.

#jammaking #ballcanning #smallbatch #blackberryseason #finddelight

No comments: