Monday, May 17, 2010

A Perfect Haze of Pink

I just love my three flowering crabapples! For a few weeks each year, they make a perfect haze of pink outside our windows - just like I wanted.

Our house was part of a new construction neighborhood. So on top of everything else we had to decide, we needed to make a full landscape plan too - sod, trees, bushes.

We hired a landscape company to coordinate and plant everything, but instead of having them draw up plans, I did it myself. Who better to decide which trees I wanted and where they should go, right?

As the "planting" date drew closer, I called the landscaper to coordinate the best day/time for us to go pick out the trees.

One morning (bright and early) he picked me up in his truck and we rode out to the wholesale tree farm. I couldn't wait to choose just the right flowering crabs, dogwood and lilacs.

As we chatted on the long ride out there, I asked him what it was like to shop for trees with people. Did they always know what they wanted? Was is overwhelming? Did he like this part of the job?

He looked at me and said, "Honestly, Anne, you are the first person who has ever wanted to come."

Ha! Well, I thanked him for letting me come along (realizing I was suddenly far outside the landscaping "norm") and thought the whole process was fantastic just the same. If I were landscaping again, I wouldn't change a thing. I mean, look at my trees! I picked them out myself.

4 comments:

Bettina said...

Hi Anne,
I think your garden looks gorgeous. It must be a daily thrill to walk in a gerden you've planned yourself ;-)

Thank you for your B-day wishes yesterday.
I forgot to celebrate all month, but I'll follow your orders and do it for the rest of it.

Anne Reeves said...

Wonderful! Everything good that happens from now on, is in honor of your birthday!

MmeBenaut said...

They're beautiful Anne - a darker shade of pink than mine but still lovely.
And, I only have one.

LillyB said...

Just beautiful Anne!!