Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gardens at Washington National Cathedral

How lucky am I? The rain stopped, the clouds dispersed and a little blue sky opened up above the Washington National Cathedral!

I was standing in the Bishop's garden composing this photo when the church bells began to ring!

What did I do?

I called my mom and held the phone up for her to hear. She loves church bells and used to take me to carillon concerts when I was young. She couldn't believe our luck that they happen to ring when I was standing in the garden.

As I looked on the cathedral website, I found that the Washington Ringing Society performs the art of "change ringing" every Sunday (after the 11 am service) at approximately 12:30 pm.

I just looked on my computer for the photo properties and found that this picture was taken at 12:32 pm. Neat, eh?

Can you hear the church bells ringing?

2 comments:

LillyB said...

This was a great blog! I am so happy you let your mother hear the bells. My daughter did the same to me when George Bush came to Panama City...she held the telephone up so I could hear him speak! lol

Anne Reeves said...

Yes, it had to be done! A very fun "moment" of delight to be sure.