Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dolls for Goodfellows

This summer my Mom handed me an article torn from the newspaper titled, Get ready to dress the Goodfellow dolls.  I read on and learned that the Old Newsboys' Goodfellow Fund of Detroit has been coordinating volunteers to dress dolls to distribute as Christmas gifts to needy children in metro Detroit since 1924!  How did I not know about this?

I told her, "I'm in!" and we have been scouting doll shops for outfits and accessories ever since.  I emailed Sari Klok-Schneider (sarigoodfellows@gmail.com) to register and before I knew it, 3 baby dolls (complete with shoes, socks and underpants) arrived at my house ready for us to dress.  The program details are listed here.  We purchased all the pieces we needed and had a wonderful time gluing flowers and ribbons to their hats, sewing on a purse and making sure that their slips had some pouf. 

Here they are, all ready to be loved.  We wrapped them in tissue and mailed them back to the Goodfellow's Headquarters yesterday.  This fantastic program will distribute 12,000 dolls to children this Christmas!  I am so proud to be involved.  If you are interested in supporting this program, registration usually begins in March and the distribution of dolls to volunteers begins in May/June.  I will re-post this blog in March to remind you to sign up.

I think every little girl should have a doll.  Are you with me?

2 comments:

Elaine said...

What a fantastic program! How fun to hunt for all the clothes and accessories to dress the dolls. We can never be too old to play dolls!

Anonymous said...

I made doll clothes for a little cousin...it was my first use of a sewing machine when I was about 8! Marilyn