Monday, October 25, 2010

Fall Appetizers

Who wouldn't want to nibble on these while enjoying a glass of wine?  I am so happy with my recipe for Cheddar Leaves.  If you are looking for an unexpected appetizer for a Fall get together - this is it!

This savory cookie is rolled and cut just like a traditional sugar cookie - you'll need a food processor, the ingredients, a rolling pin, cookie sheets, parchment paper and some leaf cookie cutters.

Cheddar Leaves

3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
10 or so shakes of hot sauce
1 1/2 cups flour


Blend butter, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and hot sauce in food processor.  Add flour and "pulse on and off" to incorporate flour.  Remove dough from food processor bowl, dust with flour and roll out (with flour as needed) as you would cookie dough.  Dip cookie cutters in flour and then cut out shapes.  Place dough shapes on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 11 minutes.  Cool on a cookie cooling rack.  Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze and defrost later for the holidays.

This is a delicious appetizer to serve with wine and beer.

3 comments:

Claudia Brooks D'Avanzo said...

happy to have you on my blog roll at our green acres. my humble lil' blog, in its own way, is also meant to share happy thoughts and moments, so it was really nice to find moments of delight! -claudia

Anne Reeves said...

Fantastic, Claudia!

Elaine said...

I am sure my husband would love these. He loves anything savory. I will have to make them for sure. I have been using white pepper lately (never used it before) and I love the taste.