Thursday, January 28, 2016

Apartment Living: My $3 Headboard

When decorating this apartment, I am trying to make what I have on hand look wonderful.  

I want to blend the traditional furniture I have (some wonderful pieces that my parents were no longer using) with the fun of living in a new space. 

The moving van arrived and we sent a melange of furniture and housewares out to Seattle. 

The missing piece was a bed. The week we moved in, we had a mattress and box spring delivered from a local retailer. I had purchased a mustard and white Max Studio comforter set at Homegoods in Palm Beach Gardens and when Dan flew from Seattle to Palm Beach to meet me last winter, I had him bring two empty suitcases. When he arrived, he realized that he would be flying a huge pile of linens for our new apartment all the way from Florida. 

Don't you love the lilac Vera Wang euro shams? Found in Florida at T.J. Maxx. The same goes for the Celerie by Celerie Kemble yellow stripe blanket and the Ralph Lauren mustard polka dot sheets. This budget bedroom is beautiful.

The headboard is a $3 string of white lights on white wire. I imagined the shape of a traditional headboard, posts and all, and carefully pushed clear push pins into the wall to form the outline. I used very few pins and found that attaching the lights (the two wire strand can be gently separated and fit right over the push pin) as I pushed the pins in the wall made it easier to "see" the headboard come to life and stay true to the shape I wanted.  Isn't it darling?  

No comments: